This flavor-packed, vegetarian-friendly Southwestern Black Bean Soup comes together faster than I can find my always-lost glasses. I’m hinting at nothing here.
Step 1: Start your rice first because this comes together so fast, you will be waiting on it. Follow the package directions.
Step 2: Chop up the onion, garlic, and bell peppers because they were WRINKLED and you need to use them up before your veggie drawer turns into soup itself. Only God can judge you.
Sauté those veggies in some oil and with what seems like a ridiculous amount of spices for such a simple soup. You’re gonna need salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. I don’t know how much because we don’t measure spices here. We just sprinkle and shake until the spirits of ancestors tell us to “stop”.
You can most certainly call yourself a bona fide chef now because nobody is going to stop you.
Cook those onion and peppers for a few minutes until they’re nice and softened.
Step 3: Add some canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, and vegetable stock. Bring it a boil and add some, maybe a cup or so, of frozen corn. Turn it back down to a simmer. Admire that black bean soup you just made out of practically nothing. Everything is beautiful. Life is glorious.
All this takes like twelve minutes. Your rice isn’t even done yet. I told you this was quick.
Step 4: If you’re ~extra~ like me you can make your own homemade tortilla chips while you wait on the rice.
Slice some flour tortillas into strips and season with S&P and paprika. Spray them with some olive oil (you know the stuff in that yellow can) and crisp ’em up in 400° oven for 5-7 minutes or until golden-brown.
Step 5: Stir cilantro into the soup (or parsley if you’re of those people), and serve with the toppings of your choice. I like sour cream, salsa, and smashed avocado. This is even better tomorrow so make extra.
Did you make this recipe?
Southwestern Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 bell peppers -- any color
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3, 14.5 ounce can of black beans
- 1 quart of vegetable stock
- 8 ounces of frozen corn
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chop up the onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Sauté those veggies in the oil and season to taste with the spices listed above. Cook for a few minutes, 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add some canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, and vegetable stock. Bring it a boil and add the frozen corn. Turn it back down to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve soup with desired toppings, like sour cream, salsa, avocado, rice, and tortilla chips.